gEDA-user: wacky (or not?) solder stencil ideas

Yesterday while I was at the TechShop experimenting with the laser
cutter and talking about solder stencils with other folks, this idea
came up:

1) Take 3mil brass sheet, and paint both sides with "machinists' blue
stuff" -- I'm not sure what it's properly called, but it's a blue paint
that they put on metal so that they can scribe layout marks.

2) Slap it in the laser cutter, and print the paste layer on it with
just enough laser power to blast away the blue paint.  (The CO2 laser is
the wrong wavelength for cutting metal, it just reflects off.)

3) FeCl etch. The blue stuff is a resist. You now have a paste stencil.

Anyway, DJ, I've looked over your web site where you do basically this
with the toner transfer method.  Got any comments?

Topic two: I've been trying to get a process that makes stencils in 3
mil drafting mylar.  I've got a usable stencil with relatively fine-line
parts, but it was more than a little tweaky.  There is a fine line
between cutting through and getting goo because the material is so thin
and prone to melt and stick to itself.  I ended up printing three the
paste layers with 3 different bloat settings, converted all of them to
dxf, and merged the drawings and cherry-picked the "best" image for each
footprint.

I see where Grafix makes essentially the same material as drafting
mylar, but coated with a "secret sauce" specifically designed to keep it
from sticking to itself when laser cut.  I need to get hold of some
samples of that.  It looks like they have a $100 minimum order on this
material.  I'm guessing that Pololu and the other places that cut cheap
plastic stencils for you are using this stuff.

Third wacky idea: TechShop has one of those PCB mils.  I suppose you
might do a stencil in sheet brass with it, but I'm not sure it can cut a
fine enough line.  I need to find out the specs.

Comments? Ideas?

-dave