Re: gEDA-user: gnucap segmentation fault

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Robert Butts wrote:
> I am simulating a circuit that has an LM741 and I'm getting a
> segmentation fault.  I suspect the problem may be because the
> symbol I'm using for the LM741 has two pin error.  The
> symbol's pin attributes areIt so happens that these two pins
> are the two offset null pins.  I don't see these pins in the
> symbol.  See an excerpt of the netlist below and the gnetlist
> cammand output below that:
> .SUBCKT LM741        1   2  99  50  28
> X2 ecuMic 1 -Vcc LM741
> X1 bottomLeg topLeg -Vcc LM741

> Is this the cause of the segmentation fault?  If so, there is
> no pin 1 or 5 in the symbol.  How can I correct it?

It doesn't segfault for me.

As you figured out, the problem is that the .subckt wants 5
connections and only gets 3 connections.

In 0.35, it works as designed which is to float the extra
connections.  It should give a warning or error message, but
doesn't.

The snapshot gives an error message and stops, as designed.

Apparently, the pin mapping on the op-amp symbol does not match
the .subckt.  There is no standard for that, so all I can think
of is that you need to manually edit the netlist to fix it.  In
my experience, the netlist generated by gnetlist usually needs
manual editing to work.