Re: gEDA-user: PCB windows on a small screen

See below...

> >Its a difficult question to answer though, as the layout is such a
> >matter of personal preference. I don't think there is any obviously
> >correct way to figure out a default at run-time either.
> >
> >We "could" query the size of the screen, and make the default layout
> >options respond to that, however I'm not immediately
> convinced this is
> >a good idea.
>
> Should be done install time or first run. It would be
> annoying if the user set up something, then quit and restart
> and pcb says "hah, I know it better what you need" and decide
> instead of loading the previous user settings.
>
> If an ultimate default is needed, I vote for the compact
> layout, because having it on large screen hurts less than
> having the non-compact layout on the small screen.

I agree;  I don't use the geda tools, but I use eclipse a lot and am using
that for my guidance:  The default layout should be functional at 1024x768,
though I wouldn't bother trying to go below that.  Then if the user changes
it for a larger screen, it should remember that layout and have it start up
that way the next time.

There should also be a menu option to restore the default layout in case
they need to connect remotely from a machine that doesn't have the higher
resolutions available, and some of the stuff is unreachable off the screen.
This is speaking from hard personal experience:  my work machine is 1650 by
1050 (or thereabouts), but my home machine maxes out at 1024x768, and I once
had the variables window so far to the right that it was unreachable until I
found the option to reset they layout to the default.