Re: gEDA-user: SMT assembly and gerbv lilbro.mosquito.net.nz

John Griessen wrote:
> lilbro.mosquito.net.nz is starting a low volume assembly business and they are choosing
> software to deal with relating solder paste dots and pick and place centroids to
> gerber output that made the boards they are assembling.
>
> Could gerbv be modified to generate lists of pads after finding where silk outline intersects
> or encloses soldermask openings?

gerbv has basically a notion of vectors and this seems like more of a
graphical problem. I am in the favour of one program solves one problem.
The solution would might be some plugin API in gerbv to expose the
internal data structures, but it is currently in the idea stage. Anyone
wanting to hack some gerbv is always welcome on the gerbv-devel mailing
list.

> They won't have anything but gerbers from most customers.
> That means there is no netlist associated, no pin 1 defined, only a mark on one corner of the silk outline
> that you have to "see" somehow.

When you have placement information available in your program it would
seem like a great idea to support that.

There is an european PCB vendor that supports one "free" CAD, you send
your design in the format used by that CAD program and they makes your
PCB from that. So to accept designs "that" (not to be mentioned) CAD
program and/or PCB could give a slight competing edge and you don't have
to cross the river to get some water.

Just my 50 öre...

Regards,
/Stefan