Re: gEDA-user: SMT assembly and gerbv lilbro.mosquito.net.nz

Stefan Petersen wrote:
> John Griessen wrote:

>> Could gerbv be modified to generate lists of pads after finding where silk outline intersects
>> or encloses soldermask openings?
>
> gerbv has basically a notion of vectors and this seems like more of a
> graphical problem. I am in the favour of one program solves one problem.
> The solution would might be some plugin API in gerbv to expose the
> internal data structures, but it is currently in the idea stage.

A plugin API is the thing we hear about every piece of geda software...yes,
that would be the way to deal with the desire to get info out of gerbv.

  Anyone
> wanting to hack some gerbv is always welcome on the gerbv-devel mailing
> list.

[jg]Thanks.

>> They won't have anything but gerbers from most customers.
>> That means there is no netlist associated, no pin 1 defined, only a mark on one corner of the silk outline
>> that you have to "see" somehow.
>
> When you have placement information available in your program it would
> seem like a great idea to support that.
>
> There is an european PCB vendor that supports one "free" CAD

[jg](like free beer...with lots of advertizing going on).

Does standard RS274X allow attribs on pads?  Could you put pad numbers and groups,
and still be RS274X?

I am still thinking of Lil Brother's request as a valid one -- they have customers that pay money
for action, and they want action based on the current state of the art of pcb making, so
RS274X with no knowledge of pin numbers is what you have to go on.  A proprietary software
company has many board assembly customers that paid $8500 for the AI software
to get from gerber info to a good XY file with a little help from humans looking at the gerber data.
at the same time, no info from the schematic or layout software.  I'm looking for ways
to get part of that function in truly free software.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX