Re: gEDA-user: Building the PCB+GL branch [WAS: Re: Open GL survey (for PCB)]

On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:08 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:
> I'm not so convinced applying the terminology "anti-aliasing" is
> correct
> for jaggies on object edges. Its certainly not what I'd call
> aliasing on
> a digital oscillocope.. that matches the texture-sampling case. The
> edges are more a quantization artefact, and the low-pass filter
> used for
> "anti-aliasing" is in fact more like a reconstruction filter.

   The world is full of examples of terminology abuse.  Just
yesterday I was told that someone had "gotten a satellite", referring
to a satellite TV system.  And if I had a nickel for every time I've
heard people, even knowledgeable people, incorrectly use the term
"broadband" to mean "high-speed Internet connection" (when most such
connections are, in fact, baseband)..

   It's a huge pet peeve of mine, but I try not to stab people too
often.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire