Re: gEDA-user: Standard symbol for mechanical items?

Ben Jackson wrote:
> Is there a standard schematic symbol for a purely mechanical item on a
> board?  In this case I have a footprint with holes to accept a plastic
> thing that will snap into the holes.  I want to represent that on the
> schematic so gnetlist won't balk at the footprints that make the holes.
>
> I just made a [X] box with a refdes H? (since I copied from hole-1) and
> a visible footprint attribute.

That is similar to my "screw hole" symbol.  It's just a rectangular
symbol with a vertical bar dividing it onto two boxes, a small one on
the left and a larger one.  The refdes goes in the small one, and the
larger box is just for annotation.  So, for example: for a board with 4
mounting screws, I have a stack of 4 of these with refdes H1..H4, and
the comment says "#6 mounting hole" or some such in each one.  The net
effect is that it looks like a 2x4 spreadsheet in the corner of some page.

My current symbol is "heavy" :) in that it ties pin 1 of whatever the
footprint is to ground.  This is probably a bad idea, and I should have
a pin on it -- every once in a while I want an isolated mounting hole.
In an case, it keeps the net lister happy and gets the screw holes into
the ground net and so forth.

-dave