Re: gEDA-user: Standard symbol for mechanical items?

Hi Dave and all,

Dave N6NZ wrote:
Ben Jackson wrote:
Is there a standard schematic symbol for a purely mechanical item on a
board?  In this case I have a footprint with holes to accept a plastic
thing that will snap into the holes.  I want to represent that on the
schematic so gnetlist won't balk at the footprints that make the holes.

I just made a [X] box with a refdes H? (since I copied from hole-1) and
a visible footprint attribute.

That is similar to my "screw hole" symbol. It's just a rectangular symbol with a vertical bar dividing it onto two boxes, a small one on the left and a larger one. The refdes goes in the small one, and the larger box is just for annotation. So, for example: for a board with 4 mounting screws, I have a stack of 4 of these with refdes H1..H4, and the comment says "#6 mounting hole" or some such in each one. The net effect is that it looks like a 2x4 spreadsheet in the corner of some page.

My current symbol is "heavy" :) in that it ties pin 1 of whatever the footprint is to ground. This is probably a bad idea, and I should have a pin on it -- every once in a while I want an isolated mounting hole. In an case, it keeps the net lister happy and gets the screw holes into the ground net and so forth.

-dave

Recently I started adding the attached symbols in my schematic for connected/not-connected mounting holes.

I draw a crude (scaled down) outline of the board near the titleblock and place the symbols as a reminder where to put them on the pcb.

With a correct footprint attribute added they show up in the pcb layout after running gsch2pcb.

Just my EUR 0.02

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.
v 20070626 1
T 310 650 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
device=MTG
T 800 100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=?
T 300 1700 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
author=Bert Timmerman <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx>
V 500 200 100 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
L 400 200 700 200 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 500 400 500 0 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
T 300 1500 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
description=Mounting hole plated
T 300 1300 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
dist-license=GPL
T 300 1100 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
use-license=unlimited
T 300 900 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
footprint=MTG____.fp
P 300 200 400 200 1 0 0
{
T 400 200 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
pintype=pas
T 1045 395 5 10 0 1 0 6 1
pinlabel=
T 395 245 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=1
T 400 200 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
pinseq=1
}
v 20070626 1
T 310 650 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
device=MTG
T 800 100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=?
T 300 1900 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
author=Bert Timmerman
T 300 900 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
numslots=0
V 500 200 100 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
L 300 200 700 200 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 500 400 500 0 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
T 300 1700 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
description=Mounting hole