Re: gEDA-user: order of defparam vs. #(.) parameters in icarus

Matt Ettus wrote:
> In some Xilinx models, they make instantiations like this:
>
> block instance(ports);
> defparam instance.param=VALUE
>

> This normally works ok.  The problem is that inside the block,
> generate statements are being used which are dependent on the value of
> the parameter.  What appears to be happening is that the block is
> instantiated, and before the defparam line is "executed", the
> decisions are made with the default value of the parameter.

The elaboration order of defparams and generate schemes is tricky
business and there is a very specific order of events. I put a
lot of painful effort into it, but I'm willing to check my work
if there is a specific example that generates controversy.

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,