gEDA-user: pcb 20081128 hangs when loading element data paste buffer

Hello

I have been using the 20081128 version without problems.

Today, while developing a new footprint, the group of features under the
file->load layout group started causing the application to hang.

I can load layouts from the command line at start up without
problems.
The new footprints are not being developed in the library (they are
moved there after they have been checked for accuracy).

Any ideas of how to reset what might have going wrong?
Did some preferences file get corrupted?
I moved the ~/.pcb/preferences file away, but it did not seem to change
the behavior.

Here are some compile time options that I'm using