Re: gEDA-user: Digilent USB-JTAG and Lattice

Eric Winsor wrote:
> I have been using the Digilent USB-JTAG cable to program Xilinx devices
> and now am working with some Lattice CPLDs in a new project.  Does
> anyone know of some JTAG programming software that will recognize the
> Digilent USB-JTAG cable and allow me to program Lattice parts?

AFIK, no software in the world supports the Digilent USB-JTAG cable
except for Digilent's Adept suite. Digilent doesn't make their protocols
available for others to use, and since this cable uses a variation of
the Cypress FX2 8051+USB 2.0 interface it's difficult to reverse engineer.

A few years back, there was one fellow on comp.sys.fpga who claimed to
have an open-source tool that would talk to the Digilent cable, but
after trying it I wasn't able to get it to work. Subsequent attempts to
contact the original author were unsuccessful. Maybe you would have
better luck - find it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xilprg

I believe that Digilent's Adept suite can 'play' SVF files, so if your
Lattice tools can generate a JTAG SVF file, you may be able to load that
into Adept. FWIW, Xilinx's Impact can be do this, so it's not unheard of.

Let me know how it goes...

Eric