gEDA-user: Solder mask clearances for SMD devices

   Can anybody point me to guidelines for the solder mask clearances used
   for SMD devices? I haven't been able to find it mentioned in device
   spec sheets or in the manufacturer capability specs from places like
   batchPCB.com, PCBexpress, etc... From what I have read, it seems like
   'a few thou' is good. Just to be sure, this is a few thou between the
   edge of the pad/pin and the solder mask? Does anybody with experience
   have a good recommended value that they know works well for devices
   that have pads with 35 thou (0.035") between the edges of the pad?
   I was thinking of going with 3 thou (0.003") for my solder mask.
   Thanks a bunch!
   ~Luke