Re: gEDA-user: OT: Search for good SMD and IC prober

On Feb 5, 2010, at 6:30 AM, John Doty wrote:

On Feb 5, 2010, at 5:06 AM, Torsten Wagner wrote:

I know it is off topic but I guess it is somehow related to PCB and
many of you face the same problem or found already a solution.
I am looking for a good set of micro probes to address single pins of
ICs or other SMD components on a PCB.

There's nothing that can compete with #30 wire and a matching soldering iron tip. Even a quick and dirty solder joint is mechanically and electrically better than any practical pressure contact. And with wire, you can make twisted pairs for signal integrity.

strong agreement here!

For probing I like using a sharp spring loaded test probe. The spring absorbs your shakes.

<http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/d6341-6342-6375_100.pdf>

But when I need to monitor something more that a quick look, its a a short piece of wire wrap wire soldered onto the part I want to monitor.