Re: gEDA-user: OT: Latex

Hi,

> that I don't like though, is image support.  Unless I am missing something,
> images are not actually part of the source doc, but are sucked in and then
> processed onto the output.  Distributing the pdf, for example, doesn't
> matter since the pictures are included.  But for multi-authors, any images
> have to be included with the article source files.

Actually it is like always once disadvantage is considered as the
advantage for someone else.
In my opinion it make no sense to embedded binary blobs (images) in
the source code. Furthermore, if you just have to change the figure,
all you have to do is to replace the original figure by a new one
(with the same name) and recompile the LaTeX file. You even don't need
to open the editor or the source file. This is a real advantage !!!

BTW: If you are interested to create figures in the LaTeX way (e.g.
schematics representation, block diagrams, etc.) Please try PGF /
Tikz. It is a LaTeX package which allows you to "program" pictures in
the same way like you "program" your text layout. The code is embedded
in the LaTeX file and it shares e.g. the text properties with the
LaTeX document. This gives a very uniform and nice look. The manual of
PGF is the best I read so fare about a scripting language and real
fun. In addition it explains why and how most of the publications just
do it plain wrong when it comes to figures.

Greetings

Totti