Re: gEDA-user: git for gedasymbols.org ?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:32:22 -0700
asomers@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have to agree with Mark.  Maintaining a hierarchical organization
> would be a laborious and thankless job for one poor schmuck.  But a
> tagging scheme puts most of the burden on individual contributors.  I
> think it could actually work.

I would imagine that each contributor would have to assign one or more
categories to each footprint.  How much is it to ask that someone click
"Pushbutton Switch" or "LED" in a list of categories.  Some things
might belong to more than one category, and that is where tags make it
easier in some ways.

If there were a standard set of tags (switch, momentary-switch,
toggle-switch, led, smt, through-hole, header, etc.) then a
hierarchical browser could be implemented for footprints having
appropriate tags. (By mapping certain tags to certain points in the
category list/tree.)

Tags are more general than categories, but in my experience it is quite
difficult to productively browse a database that uses free-form tags.
If there were well-thought-out, strictly standardized tags that each
contributor applied consistently, then it might work well.

Regards,
Colin