Re: gEDA-user: git for gedasymbols.org ?

On Thu,  3 Feb 2011 13:51:33 +0100 (CET)
karl@xxxxxxxxxxx (Karl Hammar) wrote:

> Kai-Martin:
> > How about git for gedasymbols.org?
> > (I'd volunteer to modify the instructions to reflect the change)
>
> Yes please, and I'd volunteer to do the conversion.

I have to say it would be much more pleasant to use git than CVS.

> And while we are at it, why not drop the symbols and footprints from
> the programdistribution and just point the programs to gedasymbols.org
> or a local copy, there could even be a File->git-pull entry.

I'm not sure I support this.  I prefer the gEDA distribution to have a
core stable set of symbols/footprints that doesn't change
unexpectedly.  It would be nice to have easy access to a larger set of
symbols/footprints, but I think it's important to have a separation
between widely-accepted and tested entities versus some new symbol (or
especially footprint, where precision is often even more critical) that
may have been used only by one person.

The biggest usability improvement for me in terms of finding new
symbols/footprints would be if the gedasymbols.org web interface had a
more organized way of browsing and searching items.  All users'
footprints should be available under a category-based hierarchy.
Some examples of how the hierarchy might be organized:
- Switches -> Tactile pushbuttons
- Switches -> Toggle switches
- Integrated circuits -> DIP
- Connectors -> Single row pins
- Connectors -> D-subminiature
- LEDs -> Surface mount

A better metadata and search system would be really helpful too.  If
search could be done by manufacturer (where applicable; special
symbols/footprints), model, description, maybe even type-specific
attributes like pin spacing, pin count, footprint variant (e.g., LED
footprint with large thermal pad vs. LED footprint with minimal pad; IR
reflow footprint vs. wave soldering footprint).

Regards,
Colin