Re: gEDA-user: Soldering iron tip turns black

El 04/02/11 22:10, Phil Taylor escribió:
On 2/4/2011 1:42 PM, Rob Butts wrote:
    high?  How can I get it to that shiny silver solder sticking to it
    condition?
(on unleaded)
These solders don't flow as well, but they also contaminate easily. Hotter temperatures make this second factor a serious concern. If you're doing lead free, you have to have excellent flux or your iron will always be a mess, and you joints unpredictable.
And once your tip goes black with lead-free, it's almost impossible to clean (and seems to just go black again straight away). The only solution I've found once that happens is very fine grade wet and dry paper, then re-tin it by sticking the tip in a blob of solder paste. I've also found that with lead free, cleaning the tip with a wet sponge is what starts it going black in the first place (probably other factors leading into it, too, perhaps too much heat). You have to be really careful with the sandpaper too because if you take that plating off the tip, it disintegrates in no time flat.

However, once I'm on a run of the tip not going black, I can usually keep it shiny for a long time, but once it starts going black it's a real problem.