gEDA-user: Soldering iron tip turns black

   I asked a question a couple of days ago about soldering small smt
   components.  Kaimartin posted a video of someone soldering smt
   components  [1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXhny3R7lk  In the video
   the tip to the soldering iron is a shiny silver and you can see that
   the solder sticks to the tip.

   Now before being disabled, almost 20 years ago, I never really soldered
   many things and now I'm having aides do it so it's pretty much the
   blind leading the blind.  I have a new tip to my iron and it has turned
   black and more or less reples the solder.  The solder just beads up on
   the tip and drops off.  I'm sure we didn't condition the tip right but
   what's going on when it's black and repels the solder?  Is the temp too
   high?  How can I get it to that shiny silver solder sticking to it
   condition?

   Thanks