Re: gEDA-user: transition of pcb internal units to metric (SI, mm)

On 2/8/2011 11:24 AM, Andrew Miner wrote:
    >  From: David Smith<[1]Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
    >  Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:32:24 +0000
    >  I am not an expert on ASIC manufacture, but I think that you've made
    >  some incorrect assumptions there.
    >  Yes, the standard wafer at current cutting-edge processes is 300 mm
    >  (although for older and non-standard processes, smaller wafers are
    >  common); however, I don't believe that you'd be able to get a mask
    >  (a.k.a. "reticle") set that would cover the entire surface of that
    >  wafer.  A reticle will only cover a proportion of the wafer's
    surface,
    >  and to cover the whole wafer surface, the reticle will be used to
    expose
    >  the surface of the wafer repeatedly, using a piece of equipment
    called a
    >  "stepper".
    Okay, I was not fully awake this morning, so I did make some mistakes.
    Yes the 300 mm wafers use steppers, and that is how they can get down
    to the 65 nm and finer resolutions.  In that case you would have a
    small portion of the die image.  I was still half asleep and thinking
    along the um scale technology we have at my (former) university with a
    4" wafer line that uses a full 4" mask.   There were some masks there
    that had many unique designs over the whole 4" mask (not just step and
    repeat), and we were able to fab those on wafers in house.
    One of the companies that currently offers this service is MOSIS
    [2]http://www.mosis.com/about/whatis.html  and as I remember they did
    offer great prices for students as this albeit old pdf shows:
    [3]http://users.ece.gatech.edu/rincon-mora/research/mosis_submsn.pdf
    You would need to quote out current prices, but a student use to get a
    custom ASIC for as little as $3250.  Commercial prices would be higher
    especially as you  approach 90 nm or finer.

This is past the point of being silly. IC design was brought into this conversation to justify changing the tools to record dimensions down to picometer levels. None of this is a justification for that. To need picometers you would need to not only be willing to pay huge amounts for a mask set, far beyond anything even in production today, but you would need the capability of actually designing transistors with feature size resolution below 1 nm... in terms of the models. Then you will have to pay equally huge amounts to get such a device into the production line considering that such a fab will likely cost in excess of 10 billion USD with each wafer having equally high processing costs. Not to mention that no one is even thinking of working with standard devices and techniques at feature resolutions below 1 nm. It is really starting to look like we may not pass 10 nm for standard production chips.

With all of that going on, do you really think there is even a remote justification for these tools using dimensions smaller than nm so that they can be used for advanced IC design?

Rick