Re: gEDA-user: transition of pcb internal units to metric (SI, mm)

On Feb 8, 2011, at 3:48 AM, Stephan Boettcher wrote:

> John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I doubt PCB will ever be a suitable tool for chip design.
>
> Why?

Because it's far too ad hoc in its design. It's a collection of special features, lacking any fundamental notion of a design as a composition of geometric objects with properties.

> Hierachy, blind and burried vias, all these PCB features are on the
> list.

Yes, and in PCB's development paradigm they will be added ad hoc as features, rather than as emerging naturally as capabilities of clean design. But the unplanned capabilities that are natural consequences of orthogonal design upon a solid foundation are essential to flexibility. PCB would need this sort of flexibility to transcend the straightjacket of "use cases" and become a truly general-purpose toolkit.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx