Re: gEDA-user: UTF-8 printing in gschem

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:26:22PM +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

> It looks like you've put a lot of effort into this.. I don't claim to
> understand our Unicode printing support, but I do know our intended
> road-map was to rip it out and replace with cairo printing support.

It would be nice.
BTW: I'm interested in it. Where could I look for the last code?

> I'm all in favour of committing these patches (if you can confirm they
> fix the issue without causing breakage for anything else?), so that:

I could confirm but to err is human. It works for me and hopefully will
work for others. At least I was trying to do it right and carefully. I
use Cyrillic alphabet and have no issues with the fix. Anyway any
feedback (testing) from people using Hebrew and Arabic languages would
be much appreciated. I believe the code works at least a bit better and
causes no breakage for anything else. :)

> a) If we don't get round to cairo printing in 1.8.x, we get your fix
> b) We have an archive of the "correct" Unicode printing support code
> should we wish to split that of as part of a separate gEDA -> Postscript
> printing tool which doesn't use cairo.

I think the current Unicode printing isn't the right thing in any case
even with these patches since real glyph info should not be static but
extracted from the used font itself.

--
VZh