Re: gEDA-user: any place that fabs custom project boxes?

On 02/18/11 13:24, yamazakir2 wrote:
As for the CAD software, I don't need anything robust, just something
simple that can make what I described above. Free/open source would be
great.

HeeksCAD is very usable 3D.  With it you can quickly do booleans
to create ports, slots, etc.  It uses a 2D layer called sketch
frequently to transfer a shape into 3D.  You can start with inkscape
to make a 2D path for a box gasket, for instance, then transfer that
to a surface and extrude it to make a rectangular cross section
solid out of it, then cut it from your box and you've got an o-ring
groove on the box edge.  Then export to STL, STEP,
IGES, whatever your CNC uses.  Or use HeeksCNC to generate toolpath
G code directly, not needing any other software.

I have not done a project all the way to CNC yet,  but will in a few months.

John