Re: gEDA-user: Board cleaner recommendations

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:41:30 -0600
John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/23/2011 01:38 PM, yamazakir2 wrote:
> > what do you guys use to get it looking flux-free
> > and clean again?
>
> If you use water wash flux and solder paste, you can use hot
> water and a little detergent.  Could use the dish washer machine too.

Do you have to use deionized water for this?  I have read in some flux
data sheets that they recommend DI water for cleaning.

Is distilled water a suitable replacement for DI water?  I understand
DI water is less pure than distilled.  (Distilled water is convenient
since it's commonly available from local grocery and other stores.)

Is water cleaning safe for all electronic components?  (Many components
come from distributors in bags that are marked with a warning about
baking the components before reflow soldering in case of exposure to
humid conditions, so I imagine they are not impervious to water.)

Regards,
Colin