Re: gEDA-user: pcb commands to automatically select, cut, rotate, and paste elements

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a board with a moderate number of LEDs arranged in
> concentric circles.  To do this, I am trying to formulate a pcb command
> script that will perform all the necessary operations to do this.
>
> The basics are working, but I cannot figure out how to indicate the
> "reference point" when I'm cutting an element to the paste buffer.  I
> think the script commands are using my mouse position as the reference
> point... ?
>
> Here's the basic sequence of commands I have generated (through a
> spreadsheet) to place each LED.  Initially, the LEDs are just dispersed
> randomly on the layout.  Then the script will find and properly place
> each LED based on its refdes.
>
> -----
> Select(ElementByName, D202)
> PasteBuffer(Clear)
> PasteBuffer(AddSelected)
> RemoveSelected()
> FreeRotateBuffer(330.00)
> PasteBuffer(ToLayout, 5059, 2600, mil)

What you're trying to do will be very hard to do with pcb commands.
The commands are only good for doing certain preordained actions.  Not
for general things like placing components.

Another trap:  You might want to connect your circles of LEDs with
arcs.  Be advised that pcb affers no facilities for editing arcs.

You would be wise to avoid PCB for anything non-rectangular.  It is
exceedingly painful.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail