Re: gEDA-user: pcb plugin smartdisperse fails on load

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 09:44 -0700, John Doty wrote:

> Too many modern programmers don't understand the distinction between
> abstraction and obfuscation. When pressed on this point, they will
> insist that they do understand, and then continue to demonstrate by
> their actions that they do not. This seems especially true in the C++
> community, where hiding crucial information is a common cultural
> imperative.

Yes - it was the "hiding" problem I was encountering. I've always found
C++ quite adept at letting you obfuscate things. Documentation would be
the way around it..

Still - this was a huge code-base, and I'm new to it, so it isn't
necessarily fair to assume I'd be able to jump in and figure out what is
going on.

he problem is that by the time anyone knows the code-base enough to
navigate it, they no-longer see the need or desire to document its class
structures and inner workings. (gEDA and PCB included ;)).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,