Re: gEDA-user: Anybody have any experience with cheap chinese reflow ovens?

David Smith wrote:

>> It seems like $320 shipped is pretty cheap for a reflow oven... to the
>> point where I question the quality/reliability. Getting one of these
>> would make assembling my boards 2-3x faster,so it's tempting.

We successfully use the pizza oven reflow kit sold by beta-layout:
(same company as pcb pool)
	http://www.reflow-kit.com/rkuk/order_products_list.html?wg=1
The controller is 159 EUR and the oven 59 EUR. The controller goes
between the plug and the wall. So you can use a cheaper oven from the
local grocerie if you wish.

Results are fine by default for small boards. For large boards,
components near the door receive less heat than necessary. This
could be rectified with aluminum foil on the inside of the window.

> There's an article on the SparkFun website where they claim that you're
> better off buying a domestic hot-plate (!)

We tried the hot plate method, too. Results were mixed and depend
on timing and various other factors.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak