gEDA-user: Re: gEDA: gTAG prototype

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Stephen Williams wrote:

> awiggins@cse.unsw.edu.au said:
> > Just curious if this topic has changed lists or not? I've got a half
> > complete /dev/tap Linux device driver done.
>
> It should change lists, to geda-user. If (when) it turns into a fully
> fledged gEDA project, perhaps then it can move back.

	Ok

> So what sort of hardware is your /dev/tap planning to connect to? We
> are planning on making this a USB device.  You have access to the
> appropriate USB hardware?

	At the moment I have a parallel port JTAG unit for the LART SA1100
board. The driver is split into two parts. a JTAG generic driver which
provides the /dev/tap interface and a low-level driver which talks to the
TAP controller. There are 2 two types of low-level driver,
passive/active. Passive drivers are basically I/O lines and the Finite
State Machine state etc is provided by the generic JTAG driver
code. Active drivers are for inteligent TAP Controllers. The parallel port
TAP simply uses the linux parport driver.
	I hope to finish it sometime this week. If anyone wants to see
what I have (compiles but doesn't load because its not finished) just
email me and I'll make a patch. I'm using Linux 2.4.0

	Cheers Adam