gEDA-user: Some ideas on gEDA - please comment

Hello,

I am using gschem for about a week now since I just started a small
electronics project. I really like it - it works as easily as the Orcad
program that I used some years ago. But to the point now.

Since I use some components that are not in the symbols library yet,
I have drawn those after reading the relevant docs on the gEDA home page.

Doing so, these questions/ideas popped up:

 - I see no standard way of adding the author name and email to a
   just created symbol (I guess some specific attributes would do the
   trick; possibly the auth= one mentioned below). Adding this info
   could help communication on using the symbol, finding out why it
   has / doesn't have power pins, etc.

 - When I upload a symbol at

   http://www.geda.seul.org/symlibrary/upload.html

   and later on find an error in it, what happens if I upload it again?
   In other words: are the uploaded symbols being version-controlled
   via CVS or otherwise? (CVS would be preferable I think). A
   version attribute could be of use.

   The sym/titleblock/cvstitleblock-1.sym file holds the date=, rev=,
   auth= and fname= attributes, using the corresponding CVS tags, but
   those attributes don't appear in the Master Attribute Document at

   http://www.geda.seul.org/docs/20021103/attributes/index.html

   (so are these legal?).

 - A "live" symbol tree at the gEDA web site would be something
   worthwhile to have I think. I.e. uploaded symbols being available
   to everyone instantly. If the upload code does a gsymcheck
   (it probably already does), this should prevent polution of such a
   tree. Having said this - gsymcheck (20021103 version) is more
   liberal than the conventions given in the Symbol Creation Document at

   http://www.geda.seul.org/docs/20021103/symbols/index.html

   So maybe a more strict checking would be required before such a tree
   could be provided at the gEDA site.

Excuse me if I bring up old issues here - Google does not seem to
index the lists (at least the user list which I tried to search).

Please comment!

Thanks,

Jan Stap
stap@dse.nl