Re: gEDA-user: Some ideas on gEDA - please comment

Hello Ales,

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:07:53PM -0500, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]
> > - I see no standard way of adding the author name and email to a
> >   just created symbol (I guess some specific attributes would do the
> >   trick; possibly the auth= one mentioned below). Adding this info
> >   could help communication on using the symbol, finding out why it
> >   has / doesn't have power pins, etc.
>

> 	That's a good idea, author= and email= are good candidates
> for this.  I've added these to my local copy of the master attribute
> document.

Nice! That really is a fast turn-around time :-)

> > - When I upload a symbol at
> >
> >   http://www.geda.seul.org/symlibrary/upload.html
> >
> >   and later on find an error in it, what happens if I upload it again?
>

> 	The previous version is overwritten.
>

> >   In other words: are the uploaded symbols being version-controlled
> >   via CVS or otherwise? (CVS would be preferable I think). A
>

> 	They are put into a temporary directory and then are placed
> via a script into the CVS repository (after I review them).  The
> symbols are certainly not automatically placed into CVS, as I get
> files submitted which are not symbols.   Apparently there are people
> out there who think it's "funny" to submit garbage.

There must exist a good check in between in deed...

> >   version attribute could be of use.
> >
> >   The sym/titleblock/cvstitleblock-1.sym file holds the date=, rev=,
> >   auth= and fname= attributes, using the corresponding CVS tags, but
> >   those attributes don't appear in the Master Attribute Document at
>

> 	That title block was meant for schematics which are placed
> into CVS.  The auth= etc... were not meant as the author of the symbol,
> but rather the author of the schematic.  It's a cool idea for both
> uses.

Those attribute values ($Revision$ etc.) will be filled in with the gEDA
CVS repository version info, even if those values already reflect the CVS
info of the submitters' private CVS tree. But that's probably desirable,
since all version info should refer to the single public CVS tree.

> >   http://www.geda.seul.org/docs/20021103/attributes/index.html
> >
> >   (so are these legal?).
>

> 	Yes for that particular symbol, but in general, author= and
> email= are now the prefered attributes for new symbols.

Nice!

[snip]
> 	Yeah, certainly a live symbol upload/download would be nice,
> but in order to get there:
>
> 	1) Yes, as you mentioned, gsymcheck would have to be made much
> 	   much much stricter.  Something I am willing to do.
>
> 	2) Somebody else has to write the web interface and scripts to
> 	   maintain/drive a live symbol upload/download.  Or an existing
> 	   web interface (with logins etc...) could be adapted)
>
>         3) the interface has to be secure and safe, especially if it
>            runs gschem/gsymcheck.
>
> 	I certainly do not have the time to write such a thing (would
> be a fun project though), as I am already spending a huge chunk of
> my free time with gEDA admin tasks and the rest (much smaller amount)
> of my time hacking code. :(

I would be happy to volunteer - if I had more time left too... Anyone?

> >Excuse me if I bring up old issues here - Google does not seem to
> >index the lists (at least the user list which I tried to search).
>

> 	Google should be indexing the lists now, but google's index
> might be a little dated.  Either way, these issue are good issue to
> be discussed.
>
> 								-Ales

Thanks for your reply and adopting some stuff I came across!

Cheers,

Jan Stap