Re: gEDA-user: Symbol Error

Quoting D I Freeman <dif2@kent.ac.uk>:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:37:24AM -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > *  YOu have attached the "footprint" attribute at the
> > symbol level.  IIRC, it should be attached at the schematic level.
> > (Although I could be wrong about this . . . .)
>
> How do I fix this? Where should it be added?

This may not be a problem, so don't worry about it unless you netlist
your design & the footprints don't come out.

A symbol level attribute is one which you attach to the symbol in the
symbol editor, and is carried around in the symbol file itself.

A schematic level attribute is one which you attach to the symbol after
you have placed it in the schematic.  You attach the attribute by
double-clicking on it within gschem & attaching the attrib using the
attrib dialog box.

Certain attributes are limited to only the symbol level; you can't see
or edit them from the schematic level.  "Device" and "source" are the
ones which comes to mind.  Other attributes only make sense at the
schematic level, for example "refdes" and "value".  (Placeholders for
"refdes" are provided at symbol level, but the actual text is attached
at schematic level.)

In your case, you have attached "footprint"
to the symbol but it doesn't show up at schematic level.  This is a bug,
if you ask me.  IMHO, you should be able to attach "footprint" at either
level, and have it show up in the schematic attribute editor.
HOwever, this is not your problem.  It is related to a larger
conversation about how attributes should be handled which we have been
having here for a while now. . . . .     :-)

Welcome to the list!

Stuart