Re: gEDA-user: paper to paper.pcb -- science fiction? science fact? youdecide..

> We define outlines in chip design, not centerlines, so why not for
> board layout?

My guess is that it's because gerber format is stroked, not filled,
and that's our target output.  Plus, it's easy to convert from stroked
to filled but the reverse is much harder (in general).

PCB does handle polygons though.

> I have seen no transformation between vector drawings based on
> outlines of shapes to vector drawings based on centerlines of shapes,

I worked with a grad student who was doing exactly that.  It's not an
exact science.