Re: gEDA-user: PQFP, LQFP, and TQFP in PCB

Dan McMahill wrote:

Note: especially with some of the more modern packages, there are often
times packages which are different mechanically but have the _same_ name
by different vendors. Doh! So, you should check your pin pitch at the
very least.

-Dan

Very, very, very true! PCB printout in ps form on a 300 pixel per inch laser printout seems reasonably acurate (i haven't tried it on the 1200 pixel per inch color laser printer yet). If you have a sample part you should be able to place it on a printout of the pattern. Then take your magnifying glass and see how the device leggs line up with the pads. If you have a pattern that your not sure of then let others look at it.

This seems to work with a lot of devices.... until you start using bga and flip chips.... then it becomes an ohh god I hope this is correct... hey bud... does this look good to you? yea ok then we will risk it....

There is hope... that some of the more automatic pattern generating applications will increase the chances that a new pattern will work (if you enter the pad locations correctly)....

(for those of you that have used a pattern and built the board then let the other users know so they can have more confidence)
By the way Dan. I am inticipating that the improved resolution will decrease my worries on the really small pitch devices ( 8 mils except that the solder ball locations are in metric terms) that the pads will better fit the devices. I will ask John Griessen to publish (for error checking only since i am sure the pattern will have no use to anyone other then myself) patterns for my 45 pin 8 mil flip chip at the old resolution of 1 mil and the new higher resolution. It will be interesting to see how they line up. Did I mention that some of the newer devices are going to be 6 mil pitch?

I am also going to make a different kind of pitch. If you are comercially using pcb (making money from the boards you are building or are reasonably well of and using it for your hobbies) then please note that the pcb project on sourceforge has a location for making donations to help pay the developers for some of their time. Think of it as an in liu of license fee, except for the benefits of; you don't have to pay; you get the source code and can make modifications if you need to; the project files are not locked up in a proprietary binary form; you get free support (here).

Best Wishes,

Steve M.