gEDA-user: cannot see older schematics content with gschem 20041228 (Mac OS X)

I built geda-* packages 20041228 over the weekend. Last night I noticed a serious issue. When launching gschem I could load and save schematics, but was unable to actually see their content. I tried running gschupdate against my own schematics and the geda-examples with no luck. I've had one other person confirm the same behavior.

I happen to be on Mac OS X but I'm curious if this effect Linux or other
platforms. Is anyone else having trouble viewing schematics created in
older versions of gEDA gschem even after running gschupdate. gschem
is not showing any error messages. I can create new schematics using
20041228 and see the nets and symbols just fine.