Re: gEDA-user: Any DIY USB Scope project on schedule? Or some recommmendation?

Ales Hvezda wrote:
> [ Ales here, I'm reposting this since majordomo didn't recognize the
> e-mail as being subscribed to the geda-dev/geda-user mailinglist.]

okokok, I'll respond ... 8-)

> Christian Frisson wrote:
>> I'm a audio-engineering student in need of a cheap portable 2-way
>> scope that could travel with me easily.

If you're just interested in audio band, why not use a USB audio codec
module as the digitizer ?  The good ones give you 20 bits up to 20 kHz.

From: Darrell Harmon <dlharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Maybe someone else should design a low cost open hardware scope with
> about 20MHz bandwidth.

There's been no incentive in the past because such devices have
not sold in enough volume to justify the front end engineering.
Why are you asserting that the situation would be different now ?

> ADS831s are cheap, 8bit 80MHz ADCs.

8 bit input is in practice useless for most diagnostic needs.
You should use the 12/14 bit devices; still achieving 40 MHz.