Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Suite CD - round 2

hi ya charles

> This is one of the advantages of Knoppix-- you still have the Debian
> infrastructure, so if you do decide to install to a hard drive, you
> can do 'aptitude update' and get the latest .debs.

not really an advantage, as one can do "one line updates" with
just about any distro ...

the problem is one has to know what exactly to type and why and
what files to manually configure before it does the right thing

	and worst still, how to undo the latest updates
	if things break

good thing about any *nix, you can do the same thing "10" different ways
and its NOT a unique "function" for that distro that others can't do
	- it's the mindset of the user ... how much effort for them
	and how they like to do things

	- for most thingies i deal with, its corp environment and
	trying to get yet another ( better) distro in there will never happen
	( "ms mentality" has long since soaked in already )

	- for most people/corps, they just "want it to work"
	( even better, if it worked properly as they "expected" )

> On the other hand, if you are just remastering the run-from-CD image,
> you can load it, update it, and burn it. Same deal, slightly different
> execution.

and as long as one knows what files to update .. it is trivial to do

for some, burning a CD is "trivial",  for others, it's not worth
the time or effort or energy ( to test/debug ), so they/we count on
someone providing a CD :-)
	- to me, making a cd takes way too long .. to have to sit
	copy "all the files and libs and apps and kernel config" and
	make an iso and than wait around while it goes blinky-t-blink-blink ...
	100x faster to d/l and install w/ scripts
		- and after gtting the cd, to hope that xx lib is
		still compatible with yy apps that was using the older
		libs

> There is a half-finished gEDA+Knoppix CD image sitting on my computer
> at home. I will test it sometime this coming week.

coool .. :-)

have fun
alvin

- btw .. latest (freeware) eagle seem to suck the big one, thru holes
  seem to be messed up for some components

-- but ...  the latest released geda -20041228 seems good in that
   it compiles and install clean ... ( slackware-9.1 w/ 2.4.28 )

	#
	# itty bitty script ( its not cleaned up to be posted yet )
	#
	- wget the files
	- for each *.tgz --> untar it someplace ( /usr/local/src )
	- for each app ----> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gEDA ; make ; make install
		( in the right order )

	- good job alex and crew ..

	- and/but, the toplevel Makefile that comes with the package seems to be broken
	but i'm not worried, since each app can config/make/install

.. :-)