Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

> It's not true that pcb has a "fundamental" limit of 8 layers.

It uses bitmasks in a 32-bit word for flags, with two bits per layer
plus 15 other flags, leaving only one free bit - not enough for
another layer.  It's a minor technical thing, but it's kinda ingrained
in everything else.

And IMHO, to generalize the other types of layers, we'd need flags for
them too - not the same types of flags, but in general, we need to
design for an arbitrary number of flags for each layer, and stop
treating copper layers differently than non-copper layers (aside from
the "is_copper" flag ;).

At the moment we have special cases all over the place to handle the
extra two layers.