Re: gEDA-user: gold plating layer

The surface finish is usually applied to copper areas not protected by soldermask. However for Gold there are two diffrent mthods. Imersion Gold and electro plated. Electro-plating gold (which can be done selectevly) is normally used for the fingers of edge connectors. I agree that you normally instruct the fab shop to applie electro-pated gold to specific locations in the fab notes.

Always always? talk to your fab shop about these kinds of processes.

Steve Meier

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Any gold plating is usually done directly on top the copper layer.  It
is called out on the assembly drawing as part of the specification of
the copper layer.

I have never seen a separate gold plate layer in a PCB layout
program. Has anybody else? Are there situations where you wouldn't
plate certain areas of surface copper (if you are plating)? Can PCB
fabs even selectively plate gold onto certain areas of the board?

Stuart

Hello

When we are already talking about various extra layers, does a gold plating
layer makes sense? How is the gold plating being portably specified?

Cl<