Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

> This is a very interesting idea!  Here are my two thoughts about this:
>
> 1.  I did a quick Google search on "board station ascii database", but
> didn't find any info documenting the file format itself.  Are you
> aware of any resource which defines the Board Station file format
> completely enough so that it might be used to design an updated tool?
> Alternately, a bunch of examples (layout + ASCII file) might be
> useful.

 SNIP

Hello Stuart,

I can't give you a reference right now but I'm fairly confident I can
get the database structure specs.  I'm a retired EE that spent the last
decade of my employment at companies with very large installations of
the Mentor tools.  I've got a couple of e-mails out requesting detail
info.  One of the great benefits of easily translations to and from high
end commercial layout tools would to get easy access to their component
footprint libraries.  Commercial companies have huge investments in
accurate footprints for their pcb manufacturing processes.  Any trickle
down to PCB would be a big plus.

John