Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

Bob,

Please see
http://www.alchemyresearch.com/bga.jpg
http://www.alchemyresearch.com/bga-soldermask.jpg

The via is in the pad as the pictures will show. Make a pad drill a via right through its center. The board layers are glued, then on the bottom side the via holes were coated in soldermask. My understanding is that the holes themselves were filled with some sort of epoxy ressin (after metalization). This hole filling prevents heat from rushing up the via and sucking the solder ball down the via during assembly.

Pad Details,

size 17.72 mils (.45mm)
Clearance around pad is 15 mils
solder mask 22 mils

vias in pads:

Copper Width 18 mils
Drill Diameter 10 mils
Clearance width 4.5 mils
solder mask 0 mils

Trace Details:

width 4 mils
clearance is 5 mils

Between two pads (metal portion) with or without the vias there is 21.4 mils of space
so

edge of pad
4.5 mils empty
4 mil trace
4 mils empty
4 mil trace
4.5 mils empty
edge of pad

So far our assembly success (after the board manufacturor made a flat board ;) has been 6 for 6

Steve Meier