Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

Hi!

Am 09.01.2005 um 20:52 schrieb Bob Paddock:
*PLEASE* put some detailed comments in the source code. While some like
Harry, Dan, and DJ might have an intuitive understanding of how it all works,
to the point to seeing the code in their sleep, the rest of us have not
reached that level of "oneness" with PCB's code.

Example:

In main.c
 * fallback resources
 * this is *really* long

When do we fallback to this list?

fallback resources are a standard Xt-intrinsics concept. IMHO Comments describinb basic Xt concepts do not belong into Xt based program. The fallback resources are used, when the app-defaults cannot be loaded for some reason.

  If I change a keybinding in pcb-menu.res do
I have to change it here too?

Secondly can someone please point me to the documentation for the Widget Set
that PCB uses? I know it is the X11 Athena Widget set but where is the
documentation for it?

O'Reilly made a set of book on X programming. I do not know, wether these book are on sale anymore. I would suggest to look for volume 4 and volume 5.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565920031/ qid=1105302904/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-8240089-2461505?v=glance&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565920074/ qid=1105302844/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-8240089-2461505?v=glance&s=books

I think, I saw these books as PDf somewhere in the web. Since I did a lot of Motif programming, I own volumes 6A and 6B, which can be fond here: http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/motif/ There also is a Motif version of Volume 4 called Volume 4M, so do not get confused about it.

I spent some time yesterday trying to find it with
Goggle with out success. Found lots of samples and university lectures, even
the source code, but no true documentation, and didn't want to have to dig
into the source code to figure it out if I did not have to do so.

The X11 distribution does contains some documentation in xc/doc/hardcopy/Xt/ and xc/doc/hardcopy/Xaw. I must admint, that I had my problems in understanding the documentation supplied with X11, but I managed to get the points using the O'Reilly books.

73, Mario
- -- Mario Klebsch mario@xxxxxxxxxx
PGP-Key available at http://www.klebsch.de/public.key
Fingerprint DSS: EE7C DBCC D9C8 5DC1 D4DB 1483 30CE 9FB2 A047 9CE0
Diffie-Hellman: D447 4ED6 8A10 2C65 C5E5 8B98 9464 53FF 9382 F518