Re: gEDA-user: gedagaf runs on RH8

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:29:36 -0500 (EST), Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, of course gEDA/gaf compiles & runs on RH8.

great ...  this was for me ___the___most___important___aspect___.
I am running a small network of 14 RH8 workstations in our LAB. We are
using them to control GPIB instruments through scripting. Slowly, but
surely, I am converting technicians and IC designers from MS WINDOWS
(98,2K,XP) to Linux. I've spent last 4 years to come to the point to
run small LAN with local authentication in a LAB. RH8 works "just
fine[TM]".
The major obstacle was the mentality of the users using the following
argument : UNIX is way to complicated and non user friendly.
We passed that point. They are happy running GPIB instruments in the
lab from their cubicles using cygwin/X on their MS XP desktops.
Now, I want to show to the users that they can start using Linux to
design PCB as well and save money for licensing (EAGLE, PROTEL). And,
of course, having schematic/PCB software on ALL 14  boxes without
restrictions.
I do not want to upgrade all boxes to RH9 and/or above. Yet.
It is simply way too much work, which I am not paid for. I am paid for
IC design. I've installed and configured a lot of packages over the
past 3 years for RH8.
In other words, __way__too__much__work (aka pain) to reconfigure LAN
and boxes to something newer. I hope that gEDA/gaf + PCB will remain
backward compatible in the future.

>What won't run on RH8
> is the GUI-based *Install Wizard* which lives on the CD ROM
> distribution.

  OK... I see..  thanks for the clarification

That README pertains to the procedure of downloading
> the .sio, burning it to a CD, and then running the Install Wizard to
> *automatically* build and install gEDA.

   OK  thanks for the info

Regards

Igor

P.S. : I am working for a semiconductor company in Silicon Valley with
+9000 employees worldwide