Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

> | In your opinion, what library do you think plays well with the most
> | architetures/OS's? It seems to me that the library that plays well
> | among the different architetures/OS's is what any new gui should be
> | written in.
>
> For my part, I've had good luck w/ GTK+ on Linux/i386, Linux/AMD64,
> Linux/alpha, Windows (there are precompiled MinGW libraries for
> Windows) and MacOSX (Fink). If you avoid GNOME additions, then GTK+
> is not bad, probably no worse then Xt. (Heck, it doesn't even
> require X Windows:-) It's when the GNOME nonsense kicks in that
> all heck breaks loose.

I'll add my "me too @ aol.com" to this topic.  I prefer GTK as the
widget set of choice for these reasons:

*  Platform ind (works on Windoze, Mac OSX, and Linux/unix.
*  Easy to learn & requires C only.
*  Already used with gEDA/gaf.

The other choices (motif, Qt, wxWidgets) aren't as portable as GTK.

I also agree with the poster who said that the first step is to
separate the GUI code from the other code.  Ales has looked at this
briefly & says that about 1/3 of this is already done, 1/3 is trivial,
and 1/3 of the GUI code is tightly bound to the rest of the program.

I've looked at the code myself, and it is true that there are lots of
instances where one could just replace an Xt call with a GTK call.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Xt widget set, or how
to use or call them, so doing the translation is not something I could
do without a lot of up-front learning.

Since there is apparently a Tk port coming, perhaps we can use that as
a base from which to port to GTK, assuming the translation cleanly
separates the GUI stuff from the other code.  Question:  What widget
set underlays Tk?

Stuart