Re: gEDA-user: Open-source friendly EE programs

[ Ales here, I'm reposting this since majordomo didn't recognize the
  e-mail as being subscribed to the geda-dev/geda-user mailinglist. ]

-- Cut here --
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:55:01 -0200
From: Walter Fetter Lages <fetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Al Davis wrote:
> On Monday 10 January 2005 08:33 pm, Al Davis wrote:
>
>>Just curious ....
>>
>>Does anyone know of any EE programs that are open-source
>>friendly?  That is .. they actively use it and participate in
>>it?
>

> Clarification:
>
> Does anyone know of universities with degrees in EE that are
> open-source friendly?
>

> What I said first could be interpreted so program means a
> computer program.  Of course it occurred to me that it wasn't
> clear after I already sent it.

	Well, I try to encourage its use here at Federal University of Rio
Grande do Sul, Brazil. But students don't seem to like it. They say that
Linux (of course, Linux is not the same as open-source, but...) is much
harder to use than Windows. I argue that that's because they use Windows
for a long time and are just starting with Linux. When they started with
Windows the difficulties should have been similar.

	Nonetheless, one or two semesters ago for the first time I had a
student that told me the opposite with respect to a Windows based
Laboratory assignment. He allways used Linux and claimed to me that
Windows is  much more complicated to use.

	Our department is also responsible for a CE program. Of couse, CE
students are much more familiar with open-source than EE students.
Perhaps because CE students understand better the concept of open-source
and its technical implications, while EE students perceive it like a
religious war between Linux and Windows. Of couse, I am talking about EE
students and CE students in general. When it comes to people, there are
allways exceptions.

--
[ ]'s
Walter Fetter Lages       <mailto:w.fetter@xxxxxxxx>