Re: gEDA-user: Open-source friendly EE programs

I am more of a computer engineering/systems software guy than a
hardware guy, but I've been doing more hardware projects lately. There
are several of us who try to do things with open source here at
University of Kentucky (UK), but the program is not really open source
oriented.  Many students and faculty want students to use "real" tools
that are commonly used in industry.  To some extent it is hard to
blame them.  Some employers (particulary the HR people) are looking
for certain keywords on the resume and anyone without them gets weeded
out, regardless of how well they understand the underlying concepts.
Also we have gotten some of the the software packages donated or sold
at a greatly reduced price for a University-wide site license, which
makes the free-as-in-beer argument harder to make.

Many (but not all) students detest any program that runs from the
command line, as it must be horribly primitive.  I have used Icarus
verilog to try automating testing of Verilog assignments.  The command
line interface is an asset, IMHO, because makes it possible to run
from a CGI (or other automated regression testing script.)  The
biggest problem I ran into was that the Xilinx tools the students were
using was different enough that somethings that worked under Icarus
did not work on Xilinx and vice versa (partly because the version of
Xilinx we used had no behavioral simluation.)  It was no worse than
trying to assign a C or C++ program and giving the students one
compiler, then trying to grade it on another (in other words it was a
big mess, but not really Icarus's fault.)

I have gotten good enough using gschem->gsch2pcb->pcb for my own
projects that I feel comfortable recommending it to people.  None of
the classes I am involved with directly do board layouts, but I do get
people working with me on independent projects and senior projects or
just asking for advice about tools...

Bill.

--
Bill Dieter.
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering