Re: gEDA-user: Open-source friendly EE programs

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 00:33 -0500, William Dieter wrote:
> Some employers (particulary the HR people) are looking
> for certain keywords on the resume and anyone without them gets weeded
> out, regardless of how well they understand the underlying concepts.
> Also we have gotten some of the the software packages donated or sold
> at a greatly reduced price for a University-wide site license, which
> makes the free-as-in-beer argument harder to make.

Sigh... So many corporations see colleges and universities
as nothing more than vocational schools for commerical software.
Screw education --->> train them to use software package x.

> Many (but not all) students detest any program that runs from the
> command line, as it must be horribly primitive.

My nephew is at Clemson University and will complete his engineering
degree this year. A year ago last christmas, he relayed to me a story
that quite frankly, I found utterly disturbing: In essence, he was
given a "B" in an advanced programming class when he earned an "A".
When he approached the professor about the grade, he was told that
throughout the entire semester, he was told repeatedly to use the editor
that came bundled with the software (A MS product). He had not: He had
used xemacs and it cost him 15 points off of his final grade for the
class.

Regards

Marvin Dickens