Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:33:03PM +0100, Mario Klebsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Am 13.01.2005 um 00:57 schrieb Daniel Nilsson:
> >I take note of the post that this is the wrong list for this topic and
> >apologize for bringing it up here.
>
> Allthoug there are several technical aspects of GUI-choice, that mainly
> are of developers interest, I do think, this topic schuld be discussed
> on the user-list because the GUI is the direct interface to the users.

I went to the geda website and gathered the listing of the tools, and
then for each tool I tried to figure out if it was text based or GUI
based and in the case of a GUI which toolkit it used. This is what I
came up with, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere:

Gschem and friends

geda      GUI/Project Manager  (GTK+-1.2)
setup     GUI Installer        (GTK+? )
gschem    Schematic Capture    (GTK+-2.0)
utils     Utilities            (Text Based)
gnetlist  Netlist Generation   (Text Based)
gsymcheck Symbol Checker       (Text Based)
gattrib	  Attribute Editor     ( ? I don't know, not installed on my system )

Separately developed/maintained tools but associated with gEDA:

gerbv     Gerber Viewer          (GTK+-1.2)
GnuCap    Circuit Simulator      (Text Based?)
GTKWave   Waveform Viewer        (GTK+-2.0)
gwave     Analog Waveform Viewer (GTK+-1.2)
Icarus    Icarus Verilog         (Text Based?)
ngspice   An improved SPICE      (Text Based?)
PCB       PCB                    (Athena Widgets (Xaw) )
VBS       Verilog Behavioral     (Text Based?)

Based on this, I'm thinking it would make sense to try to evaluate if
PCB can use GTK+-2.0 as well. Compared to introducing another library
such as QT this would lower the total number of libraries that have to
be built for anyone that it looking to build an environment for using
the gschem/PCB combo.

--
Daniel Nilsson