Re: gEDA-user: On the nitty-gritty of user-experienced problems

> Linux/UNIX distribution and not attempt to resolve dependencies unless
> they are a developer that needs to build against some specific version
> of a library. If the libraries provided by your Linux distributor are
> too old for a particular piece of software that you'd like to install,
> you have a few choices in my mind;
>
> 1. Search the web to see if someone has provided a package (rpm, deb
>    or whatever) for this newer library for your distro. backports.org

binary package is a security hole. Someone can put a malicious code
into the binary and noone will notice.

Malicious code in a source code is obvious.

Binary packages run slower because are not optimized for the particular
processor. I have notices about 2 times speedup between compiled GCC
and binary GCC. I don't want to buy 3.6GHz system. I'll stick with
my 1.8GHz one.

Tried various distros, it was always disaster.

Distros are written off for me.

Programs should be written portably. They should work regardless of
any distros.

> 2. Upgrade your system to a newer linux distribution.
>
> 3. Attempt to install this newer library yourself, while remembering
>    that this can be a very difficult task for end users who don't
>    understand exactly how this library works. This is also quite

Understanding how things work is difficult when they don't work.

Cl<