Re: gEDA-user: On the nitty-gritty of user-experienced problems

Karel Kulhavy wrote:

binary package is a security hole. Someone can put a malicious code
into the binary and noone will notice.

Unless you read every line of source code in a package every time you download it, the same applies. Actually, running the binary is a little less risky. You generally don't run the program as root, but if you compile from source you have to do 'make install' as root. Those install scripts can do just about anything to a system.

Malicious code in a source code is obvious.

Really? I guarantee you that any programmer worth his salary could hide a backdoor in some source code that would be very difficult to find.

Binary packages run slower because are not optimized for the particular
processor. I have notices about 2 times speedup between compiled GCC
and binary GCC. I don't want to buy 3.6GHz system. I'll stick with
my 1.8GHz one.

The difference is not perceptible, except in multimedia-intensive applications. I am willing to bet that the reason your compiled GCC is faster is simply because it's a different version.

Tried various distros, it was always disaster.

I never had any major problems with my distro (Mandrake). Of course, the best way to muck up any Linux installation is by carelessly installing different libraries, as you seem to be fond of doing. If you stick to distribution-provided core packages, you will be fine.

Programs should be written portably. They should work regardless of
any distros.

In an ideal world, programs would just work. In reality, there is no way every distribution can be reliably supported -- they are far too different. The best idea is to use something like the Linux Standards Base. If your distribution is LSB-compliant, it should run LSB-compliant programs without any issues. Making programs run only on LSB-compliant distros will encourage non-compliant ones to standardize, which is a good thing.
-- Igor