Re: gEDA-user: On the nitty-gritty of user-experienced problems

On Jan 14, 2005, at 6:52 PM, Igor Izyumin wrote:
Binary packages run slower because are not optimized for the particular
processor. I have notices about 2 times speedup between compiled GCC
and binary GCC. I don't want to buy 3.6GHz system. I'll stick with
my 1.8GHz one.

The difference is not perceptible, except in multimedia-intensive applications. I am willing to bet that the reason your compiled GCC is faster is simply because it's a different version.

The difference most certainly *is* perceptible.

Programs should be written portably. They should work regardless of
any distros.

In an ideal world, programs would just work. In reality, there is no way every distribution can be reliably supported -- they are far too different. The best idea is to use something like the Linux Standards Base. If your distribution is LSB-compliant, it should run LSB-compliant programs without any issues. Making programs run only on LSB-compliant distros will encourage non-compliant ones to standardize, which is a good thing.

I think it's high time we tell the world's pimply-faced Linux developer about this Linux Standards Base. From the software floating around these days, it's painfully obvious to me that very few of them have ever heard of it.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi