Re: gEDA-user: On the nitty-gritty of user-experienced problems

On Friday 14 January 2005 5:52 pm, David Howland wrote:

> The MD5 will change.

True, without exception (Or at least, if anybody has managed to beat MD5, no
one knows about it which is improbable).

I rolled my own once just to see how hard it was. The reality is that
it was not that hard, it was just time consuming. With that said, I've
got to agree with Stuart. I think your in dependency hell. What you are
describing are the problems I used to have with Linux years ago before
the various distributions worked out the various dependencies.

Here at work, we use two distributions: Slackware and SuSE. We use
Slackware when we need light weight and/or custom installations. SuSE
is used for all other uses (Read desktops). RedHat Fedora Code stuff has
proven to be too unstable for our tastes. Mandrake is too bloated. Gentoo
is a pain to set up (Takes too long, but once it's up your good). Debian
is stable, but new releases are redicously infrequent.

Slackware and SuSE fit our needs nicely. We found that there is little we
cannot do between the two (Or at least we haven't found anything yet).
Although, we have a couple of IBM PPC boxes running AIX because the
apps that are on it are commercial and have never been ported to Linux.

Best

Marvin